Wednesday morning, start of day #5.
Lots of good hard sleep last night. A pretty boring, uneventful night. Just after dinner the spinnaker folded, the wind sort of returned enough to fly again. On the second fold just before dark there was no reviving the flying. Just a huge wet kleenex hanging from the mast. One of the easiest ways to take down a spinnaker is to have no wind in the sail.
Put Bertha back in its sleeping bag and turned on the engines and thats how the night went. One engine making some electricity and pushing us slowly toward the destination. Seems the forecasted wind ‘hole’ had shown up early and not expected to fill back in until Friday the 22nd.
We will try to find some way to sail but without wind it’ll probably be pretty fruitless. Looking at the jib right now its starting to show signs needing to be put away too, had some wind in it over night but just enough to keep it from flapping.
All is well, might be a double feature movie day. Any suggestions – might have to break out ‘Captain Ron’ and see how many new phrases we can pick up. “If its gonna happen its gonna happen out there” or “We’ll just pull in and ask for directions”
1610 of 1624 miles left to go. [realtime]
At 3/20/2019 @ 11:50 AM UTC Our position: 32°09.89’S, 090°32.76’W Traveling 5.0 heading 285T
Google says we are here www.google.com/maps/place/-32.16483,-90.54600
Day #4 the winds and waves finally got in synch, winds about 15 knots and the seas have come down and are rolling along in the same general direction as we are going. Started with wing on wing over night, at day break put big Bertha into service, Bertha flies from the top of the mast and can touch the water if she is not flying straight. Woke up Christine to help launch her. Flew great all day, even almost making it through an Adam Sandler movie “Do Over”, complete with popcorn, but alas Bertha was tired of being ignored and demanded some attention. Jibbed the spinnaker over to the starboard side and off we went and this time directly toward where we want to go. Yippie.
The forecast has the winds dying to zilch for 2 days, hopefully the forecasts will be off like they seem to have been lately, but our normal is that the winds will probably take a break.
Since its Tex-Mex Tuesday, migas for breakfast and fajitas were on the menu. Lots of grilled veggies for the fajita before they go past their cook by date. 🙂
Great day, no sun, but not terribly cold t-shirts and long pants weather. Couple of naps and general checking of weather. Still no sightings of other vessels, other than day one. As I type this the wind is slowing down already, down to 10 knots and coming more out of north than east. Might be taking down the spinnaker sooner than later. \
1099 of 1624 miles left to go. [realtime]
At 3/19/2019 @ 10:18 PM UTC Our position: 32°28.72’S, 089°12.95’W Traveling 6.6 heading 279T
Google says we are here www.google.com/maps/place/-32.47867,-89.21583
How do you like your Scallopini de Pollo? I like mine at 10 knots. When mother nature gives you a beam reach, put a reef in the main and jib and see what you can make of it. Last nights dinner was cooked and served at 10 knots. A little bouncy but supper yummy. Knocked off 92 miles in the first 12 hours of the journey.
Then darkness set in, the wind gusted to 30 knots, decided to drop an extra reef in the main for night time comfort. It last slowed us down but made it more comfortable. Shook that reef out at 2am when the wind slowed down under 10 knots, still doing 1/2 of wind speed so all is good.
Looks like its going to be a nice sunny day, at least by the looks of sunrise.
1472 of 1624 miles left to go. [realtime]