Passage Hao to Tahiti #03

Another marvelous day, another sunset, another low wind day and we crossed the 1/2 way mark to Tahiti. Its been slow going just putting along. The wind didn’t fill in, but we ran raised the big spinnaker anyway and let it ride for about 5 hrs with the flukey winds. This spinnaker flies from the top of the mast and can still touch the water in front of the boat if it doesn’t stay flying. With the swell and light winds it was collapsing occasionally. On one of those collapses I was looking out window and saw it snag the cleat on the bow. It does that occasionally, and we have swim noodle that is wedged under the cleat to keep it from snagging. Somehow it got in there and the sound of rip-stop nylon ripping as ran to the bow to release the spinnaker. Free’d it and brought the kite down.

Now its got a 3 foot rip at the bottom. Break out the sewing machine and that is what seemed like the project of the day. Christine brought out the spare spinnaker material and the sail tape. We taped it up good and it looks like it’ll hold so holding off on sewing a patch on it. The sail tape needed 1 hour to fully cure. And the wind was still marginal for flying it, decided to just use the jib instead, and put the spinnaker away till we see a solid breeze that will keep the sail full over the waves.

Started messing with the music collection, de-duped and renamed and categorized a whopping 1%, so that means at least 3 months of doing 1% per day. Oh my!

The wind filled in after dinner. Would really like to try the spinnaker now, but its plenty dark since the moon doesn’t wake up till almost daybreak.

All good on board. Staying hydrated as its real hot when there is no breeze, and getting some sleep here and there. Cheers

245 of 498 miles left to go.
[realtime]

At 6/1/2019 @ 3:32 PM UTC
Our position: 17°39.92’S, 145°55.66’W
Traveling 4.9 heading 276T

Google says we are here
www.google.com/maps/place/-17.66533,-145.92767

=====
This message was sent from an amateur radio account. If you reply, be mindful that your reply will be subject to inspection by the public. If your reply contains prohibited content (profanity, personal or commercial business information, etc.) it may not reach its destination, and will endanger your correspondent’s license. Ask your correspondent if you have any questions.

Passage Hao to Tahiti #02

Day #2 is winding down. Completely uneventful day, the best kind of days to have. The predicted weather before we left said the wind would die to next to nothing. For once the prediction actually happened. On came one engine and keep us moving toward the destination. Slowly, no real need to rush. Technically we could just drift along or wait for wind. Since we should have plenty of fuel, we opted to just run one engine at 50% power to push us along till *hopefully* the forecasted wind picks up over night.

There was very little wind so the water was glassy smooth with the exception of the swell. Some pretty big swell was rolling in making the boat go up and down pretty much all day. Lots of reading, playing on devices, Christine organized some of our movies, I’m thinking about trying the music library. Course I have been thinking about that for years, too many duplicates and far too many genres to make finding music easy. We will see if I actually get motivated.

Had a couple Chipotle Burrito Bowls with left-overs for future passage meals. Make a big pot when the weather is nice and freeze the rest for quick meal when the weather is not conducive to cooking.

All good just making slow progress. Fingers crossed that the wind does as the forecast reports and returns this evening for a nice sail the rest of the way.

Happy Friday y’all.

364 of 498 miles left to go.
[realtime]

At 5/31/2019 @ 6:23 AM UTC
Our position: 17°47.69’S, 143°14.26’W
Traveling 4.5 heading 271T

Google says we are here
www.google.com/maps/place/-17.79483,-143.23767

=====
This message was sent from an amateur radio account. If you reply, be mindful that your reply will be subject to inspection by the public. If your reply contains prohibited content (profanity, personal or commercial business information, etc.) it may not reach its destination, and will endanger your correspondent’s license. Ask your correspondent if you have any questions.

Pacific Passage to Easter Island

Matt dutifully posted “Real-Time Pacific Passage blogs” while we were at sea.  So, I will not bore you with another rendition of the same passage, but I will give you some highlights.

Technically, this is part II of our Pacific Passage as we started from Valdivia to Robinson Crusoe (500nm) and now from Robinson Crusoe to Easter Island.

The anchor was pulled up at 1030am on 16 March with approximately 1625 nm to Easter Island from Robinson Crusoe.  We anticipated it taking 12-14 days to make this trip.

Sunset Photo

Sunset Photo

A few days we averaged 170 nm a day, but for the most part we averaged 130-150 nm a day.  At the end of the trip we sailed 1,655 nm with a max speed of 13.2 and an overall average speed of 6.2. A remarkable 11-day sail with decent winds.

The only disappointing mishap was a ripped spinnaker.  We were flying our small spinnaker which is good to 20kts of wind.  A squall snuck up on us and as we debated taking it down, POP!

Picture of Spinnaker happy and flying

Spinnaker happy before she wasn't

Spinnaker happy before she wasn’t

Matt and Spinnaker unhappy

Ripped the clew right off the small spinnaker

Ripped the clew right off the small spinnaker

We were thrilled to sail up to Easter island are so looking forward to exploring this mystical island.

This map gives you an idea of where we sailed from Valdivia, to Robinson Crusoe, to Rapa Nui.

Robinson Crusoe and Easter Island

Robinson Crusoe and Easter Island